Investing in line with the goals of the Paris Agreement
Have investments of more than $1 billion in renewable energy projects by the end of 2022
As a large investor of capital, AustralianSuper can lower carbon intensity by investing into lower emissions companies, such as those in the renewable energy sector. AustralianSuper currently invests in a range of renewable energy projects across markets in its infrastructure and equity portfolios. AustralianSuper has committed to have investments of more than $1 billion in renewable energy projects by the end of 2022 and expects this allocation to increase over time.
Reducing carbon in equity portfolios
AustralianSuper integrates climate change in its investment policy, process and disclosures and is working to consistently reduce the carbon exposure in its equities portfolios:
- Climate change is identified in the Terms of Reference of AustralianSuper’s Investment Committee, which has responsibility for investment portfolio management on delegation from the Board.
- Our TCFD report publicly enunciates AustralianSuper’s climate change beliefs and support for the Paris Agreement goals and a net zero 2050 economy.
- We integrate climate change considerations at significant points in our investment process including due diligence prior to ownership and then once we own an asset.
- Carbon intensity measurement over the last six years demonstrates a low carbon transition in the equities portfolio is underway. AustralianSuper’s international portfolio is currently 44% less carbon intensive than its benchmark and the domestic portfolio is 17% less carbon intensive.
Comprehensive climate change engagement
AustralianSuper has identified the most emissions intensive companies in its portfolio and developed an engagement strategy seeking low carbon transition:
- AustralianSuper is a founder, global steering committee member and previous Chair of Climate Action 100+ (CA100+), which advocates for Paris-aligned carbon emissions reductions and improved climate change governance and disclosure in 160 of the world’s largest emitting companies.
- AustralianSuper has an engagement program with internally held ASX-listed companies and unlisted assets for an articulation of net zero business strategies and actionable progress on emissions reduction trajectories. We have developed ownership plans to monitor and manage progress for emissions intensive companies. We are working to incorporate the CA100+ Net Zero Benchmarking framework into the ownership plans.
- AustralianSuper has and will continue to report on the resulting low carbon transition that is occurring in the portfolio in its TCFD report.
Partner of the Australian Industry Energy Transitions Initiative
AustralianSuper is a partner of the Australian Industry Energy Transitions Initiative (ETI) to work directly with some of Australia’s largest companies in hard-to-abate sectors to accelerate emissions reductions across their value chains. AustralianSuper is the only institutional investor partner in Australian Industry ETI and this collaboration will enable us to work with industry to develop pathways for emissions reductions across five supply chains: steel, aluminium, liquified natural gas, other metals and chemicals. Collectively, these sectors contribute more than a quarter of Australia’s annual emissions and generate exports worth around $160 billion. The Australian Industry ETI will also provide insights into new opportunities arising from the transition of Australia’s economy, and help to reduce the overall costs of the transition to net zero emissions by encouraging early action. AustralianSuper will integrate learnings from the Australian Industry ETI into its engagement program and benchmarking framework with investee companies.
With $125 billion in funds under management, over one million members and 1,400 employees, we’re one of Australia’s largest industry funds providing superannuation, advice and…
Lendlease Funds Management
Lendlease’s Funds Management (LLFM) business manages $US36 billion in assets under management (AUM) comprised of property assets held across unlisted funds and separate mandates in…
Pendal Group is an independent, global active investment management with approximately $100 billion in assets under management.
Cbus manages over $54 billion on behalf of 770,000 members. Cbus is the leading super fund for building and construction in Australia. Our members build…
Pollination is a global climate change advisory and investment firm, accelerating the transition to a net zero, climate resilient future.
UniSuper is the super fund dedicated to people working in Australia’s higher education and research sector. With more than 450,000 members and $80 billion in…
New Forests is a global sustainable forestry asset manager headquartered in Australia, with offices in New Zealand, Singapore and the United States. We are committed…
AustralianSuper manages $182 billion of members’ retirement savings on behalf of 2.3 million members from more than 330,000 businesses. One in 10 working Australians are…
Victorian Funds Management Corporation
Established under the Victorian Funds Management Corporation (VFMC) Act 1994, VFMC is a public agency that provides investment and fund management services to 29 Victorian…
For over 25 years our properties have been meaningful places for the retailers, companies, government departments and communities that use them. We generate returns for…
Local Government Super
With over 85,000 members and more than $11 billion in funds under management, Local Government Super is the fund of choice for ethical and sustainable…
Impact Investment Group
Impact Investment Group is a leading Australian impact investment funds manager. We want to prove that finance can be a force for good. That finance…
HESTA is the industry superannuation fund dedicated to Australia’s health and community services sector. More than half of those working in the sector nationally invest…
Australian Ethical invests $4 billion ethically for over 55,000 super members and investors. Guided by the principles of the Australian Ethical Charter, Australian Ethical invests,…
Aberdeen Standard Investments Australia
Aberdeen Standard Investments is dedicated to helping investors around the world reach their desired investment goals and broaden their financial horizons. We seek to provide…
IFM Investors was established in 1994, for the purpose of protecting and growing the retirement savings of our investors’ beneficiaries, who are millions of pension…
Queensland Investment Corporation
The Queensland Investment Corporation (QIC) is an investment manager specialising in alternatives offering infrastructure, real estate, private capital, liquid strategies and multi-asset investments. Collectively, QIC…